INALUM Committed to Environmental Management and SDGs 2030
The company is committed to environmental management to avoid the impact of smelting plant operations and support the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs 2030) stated in the company policy. INALUM has obtained ISO 14001: 2015 Certification which meets the requirements of the international Environmental Management System standard.
Regarding environmental preservation, INALUM has obtained a GREEN Rating in the "Company Performance Rating Assessment Program (PROPER)" a program for Company performance in preserving the environment from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry of the Republic of Indonesia in 2020 and 2021.
Pollution Control and Responsible Environmental Management
INALUM is very concerned with pollution control to avoid impacts from smelting plant operations. Substantial investments have been made for the environmental management of its activities, especially for emission control systems as an integral part of the smelter operations.PDF - Environmental and Energy Policy Link PDF - Life Cycle Assessment Report
Clean Development Mechanism
INALUM is one of the environmentally sound smelters continuing its commitment to reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions. In the Kyoto Protocol (1997), there is a commitment from developed countries to reduce GHG emissions by at least 5% from 1990 conditions to be implemented during the period 2008 - 2012. CDM is one of the mechanisms to reduce GHG emissions that involves both developed and developing countries and INALUM as one of the industries in developing countries (Indonesia) that is voluntarily involved in CDM implementation.
Aluminum Smelting Industry Initiatives to Reduce GHG Emissions
There is a worldwide initiative in the aluminium smelting industry to reduce GHGs, especially PFCs (Perflourocarbons). According to the 2006 "IAI Sustanability Report", PFC emissions from the global aluminium industry have been reduced by 76% per ton of aluminium produced between 1990 and 2005.
Potential Reduction of PFC Emissions at INALUM
Currently, INALUM produces approximately 250,000 tons of aluminium per year. A potential activity in reducing PFC emissions is to reduce Anode Effect (AE). To do this, INALUM has updated its operating control system to reduce AE frequency, duration and over voltage. AE is a condition where the voltage in the reduction furnace suddenly increases when the level of alumina dissolved in the smelting furnace is far below normal (≤1%). INALUM has entered into an agreement with a consultant, namely South Pole Ltd, Switzerland in collaboration with CER Indonesia to help implement the CDM project, which is also supported by BAPEDALDASU and Green Partners.Through CDM, a portion of the potential GHG emission reductions can be claimed as CER (Certified Emission Reduction).
Control of Material Spills and Leaks
The company has a B3 and B3 waste management emergency team structure to carry out efforts to control spills and leaks of material and waste. Implementation procedures have been stipulated in the Oil Spill Response Plan document and the Emergency Document for Management of Toxic Hazardous Materials.
The series of controlling spills and leaks of materials and waste includes the process of identifying processes and locations that have the potential to cause spills, implementing spill prevention methods in the process of moving and storing materials and waste, preparing equipment and resources for handling spills consisting of internal company parties and third party partners in accordance with with the required scale (Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3), as well as increasing competency through routine simulations for the material spill and leak control team. Due to efforts to manage materials and waste responsibly, throughout 2022 there were no incidents of spills and leaks of materials and B3 waste.
Aspects of Sustainable Development
INALUM's CDM project meets all the criteria and indicators of sustainable development, namely:
- The project activities involve replacing the operating control system (computer software and hardware) so there will be no direct contact with the surrounding nature. Therefore, it is certain that this project will not cause interference with biodiversity.
- By reducing PFC emissions through a reduction in AE, the air in the environment and at the work site will have a positive impact.
- KINALUM has implemented the OHS Management System required by government regulations and has received 2 Gold flags.
- There will be no decrease in income and quality of public services for the local community if this project is carried out.
- There is no indication of termination of employment from the company due to this project.
- A community consultation activity was conducted on January 15, 2008, at the Bapedalda Office of North Sumatra Province. It was attended by 29 people, including representatives of the community around the smelter location, The Department of Industry and Trade and the Office of Manpower of North Sumatra province, the North Sumatra Provincial Bapedalda, representatives from the University of North Sumatra, and representatives from NGOs. At this event, the project developer explained the activity plan. The event's results showed no negative comments from the community towards this project.
- Basically, the trustees who attended supported the PFC emission reduction activities carried out by INALUM in the hope that this activity would be able to support efforts to improve environmental quality in the province of North Sumatra and attract more parties to participate in climate change mitigation activities such as the CDM.
- The technology used is the latest technology that has been applied in several aluminum smelting plants worldwide.
- The system provider used in this project is a foreign party, but the installation is carried out with INALUM employees. In addition, regarding maintenance and operational aspects, including its development, special training has been carried out at the provider's location and the project site. This system's source code and algorithm have also been submitted to INALUM to be developed further.
INALUM As a Part of Danau Toba Guardian
INALUM as corporation have a commitment to make sure stability and being proactive as guardian to Danau Toba ecosystem. Together with all stakeholder, INALUM straight forward create more program to make sure Danau Toba will be the good legacy to the next generation.